Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Norwex and E-cloth

Being my hippie self, when I first started hearing about Norwex cleaning cloths (and all their products in general), I was intrigued.  High-quality microfiber cloths that remove dirt, grime, and bacteria using only water? And they clean themselves? It seemed too good to be true.  I had multiple friends on Facebook invite me to their Norwex parties, which I declined because…well…I hate when friends try to sell me stuff.  I’m not a fan of MLMs.  Like...ever.  Eventually, though, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to purchase a few cloths to try out.  At the same time, while extensively researching Norwex and reading reviews (because that's what I do with every single decision I make), I came across information about another company with similar products called E-cloth.  I went online and purchased a few of them to try out at the same time.  I have been using both types of cloths for a few months, now, and here is a general overview of them in case you are also interested.

-Click on the link above to get full information, but this is a company started in 1994, based on the idea that we use way too many toxic chemicals. High-quality microfibers were created to clean, using only water, to the same efficiency that chemical household-cleaners were (99% effective).  Because cleaning can all be done with a few cloths and water, you save money (from less cleaning supplies) and you save time. There are MANY products for your home, car, personal care, children, etc... Here is a Norwex consultant reviewing a few products and explaining what they are all about:

*Watch at the 5-minute mark for the bacteria test*

These products seem VERY expensive, compared to normal cloths, but I decided to order 2 Envirocloths ($16.50 each) and 1 Window/Polishing Cloth ($18.50) to try out.  Norwex has more basic microfiber cloths, but I decided to try these because of the "Antibac" features. I was a little confused on what this meant or how the Envirocloths worked, but after reading more online I found out that it's the MICROFIBER in the cloths, tightly woven, that actually picks up all of the dirt and germs and bacteria.  You then rinse out the cloths to remove the majority of all the gross stuff, and then the silver woven into the fibers actually cleans and sanitizes the CLOTH (after fully drying for 18-24 hours). So...the microfiber does the cleaning that chemical products used to.  The Antibac just helps to keep the cloths clean so you can use them multiple times before a wash.  These cloths must be washed using a laundry detergent without fillers (like my Molly's Suds) and dried without drier sheets (I used wool dryer balls and a ball of foil for static).  You can throw them in with any load as long as you don't have a lot of other linty items, like towels, in it.  

 

These are my three Norwex cloths.  I designated my pink Envirocloth for my bathroom cleaning (minus the sinks) and my blue Envirocloth for the kitchen and bathroom sinks.  So far, I really have loved cleaning with these cloths!  They are great at removing everything, and it takes SO MUCH LESS TIME to do cleaning than it did before! When I clean my bathrooms (all 3 of them), I use the purple polishing cloth for my mirrors (using a spray bottle of water to wet the surface), my blue cloth for the sinks and any spots on the walls, and the pink cloth for the toilets, potty seats, stools, etc...  I still use a (safe) toilet bowl cleaner from The Honest Company or Seventh Generation, but that's the only "chemical" I use.  I use my Swiffer for the floors because the Norwex mops are hecka expensive, but I have also considered putting one of my cloths in the Swiffer and mopping it that way. The cloths are pretty big but thin.  And if you can't stand the "sticky" feel of microfiber cloths, you are going to have a problem using them dry.  Other than that, I've really enjoyed using these in my home!

-Again, click on the link to go to the company website. This company was started in 1995 and has the same overall purpose - to reduce chemicals in our homes and environment. These also claim to be 99% effective in removing bacteria and other contaminants. I found this video explaining the cloths on their website:


First of all, E-Cloths can be purchased directly from the company, so there is no consultant to work through.  These cloth also are cheaper than Norwex, making them more affordable for those looking to switch to high-quality microfiber cloths for cleaning.  As I perused the website the first time, I discovered a sale going on where I could purchase 2 General Purpose cloths for $8!  I ordered two sets, so I received four cloths for $16!  Click here to see that deal currently. These cloths are also cheaper than the Norwex Envirocloths because they do not contain the silver woven into them, so the cloths don't clean themselves.  Part of me, however, is okay with having to wash them more frequently because it makes me feel less anxious about using a dirty cloth!  


The E-cloths are thicker than the Norwex cloths and do not have the "sticky microfiber" feel to them.  I use both sets of cloth interchangeably and love having so many cloths to keep around the house for multiple purposes.  Obviously I use them wet for cleaning surfaces like counters and toilets and stovetops and refrigerator shelves and walls, but I also use them dry for dusting.  Both companies have tons of other products available for more specific uses, and both companies offer warranties on their cloths.  Overall, I am loving having these cloths for chemical-free cleaning!

Here's a few comparison pictures of the two types of cloths:

E-cloth on left, Norwex on right

The e-cloths are thicker


The Norwex cloths are slightly bigger


E-cloth on left, Norwex on right.

I put up these 3M hooks throughout the house so I always have a cloth nearby for quick wipe-ups.  Both cloths have loops sewn onto them for easy hanging.

Well, that's a VERY general overview of Norwex and E-cloth.  I hope that answers any questions you have if you are interested in removing more chemicals from your home.  If you currently use either of these cloths, let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment