Daily Notebooks:
- Jackson: Confessions of a Homeschooler
- Alex: 1+1+1=1
LDS Scripture Verse:
"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." - Doctrine and Covenants 6:36
MONDAY
Our scavenger box (beginning-sound box) included a lock, a ladybug card, a lion, a lobster card, a sign-language L card, a foam leaf, a foam letter L, our L poem book, and My "l" Sound Box.
After reviewing our box, we read My "l" Sound Box for some more "l" sound ideas. We used the coloring page from 1+1+1=1 this week for both boys. Jackson loved using the Bingo markers and IKEA stamp pens with it, today.
I bought a pack of foam leaves from Target during the Fall, and we pulled them out (again) today for some patterning. However, the boys quickly lost interest.
Once they saw that lobster card in the box, they were very excited to play the "fish game." I usually use half the stack of cards (2 of each kind) from our Go Fish game to match a large matching/memory game. They LOVE this! We always have to play it at least two times. As usual, I was amazed at how well they remembered where cards were.
Then we pulled out our counting bears for a few activities. They sorted the bears by color into their corresponding cups, then we counted to make sure each cup had ten bears.
Then I decided to try some simple addition problems. I pulled out a few small whiteboards and some dry-erase markers and set up the first problem using bears. As you can see in the picture, I separated the two "parts" of the problem by color to make it easier. I explained what the "plus" sign and "equals" sign meant, and I demonstrated how to use the bears to solve the problem.
Alex just wanted to put bears on a board and draw with the markers, but Jackson really seemed interested. I helped him with his first problem...
...and he kept asking for more and more! Not only was he understanding simple addition problems, but his number-writing skills also improved as he worked!
This kid loved math time! He always does, though. He loves showing people how he can count to 100 (and yes, he does count for them the whole way if they will let him). He notices numbers everywhere and counts whatever he can. I love it, especially since I am very similar!
They decided to watch Leap Frog Numbers Ahoy again, today, for their video time. It is about a pirate who LOVES to count and counts every creature in the sea. Very fitting. :)
Reading List:
1. My "l" Sound Box by Jane Belk Moncure
2. Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson (book with cd)
3. Leaves! Leaves! Leaves! by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
4. Leaves by David Ezra Stein
5. Ruby's Falling Leaves (a Max & Ruby book)
TUESDAY
*Today was CRAZY, so we didn't have school.*
WEDNESDAY
Here are the trays/activities we worked on today:
Tray 1: Pattern Blocks and Bird Template
I found this template I printed off a few weeks back and decided to throw it in for today.
Tray 2: Coloring and Cutting Practice
I found a page of lamps in a preschool workbook and ripped it out to work on.
Tray 3: Letter L Playdough Mat
Tray 4: Nature Vocabulary Page with Magnets
Tray 5: Shape Matching Cards
And here are the boys hard at work:
Jack had no desire to cut out the lamps, but he finished the page. After the first couple lamps were colored (the center and bottom center), I praised him for doing much better about staying within the lines when he colored. After that, I noticed him concentrating extra hard on keeping the crayon in. ;)
THURSDAY
Field Trip Day!
I bought a groupon a few months back for Discovery Gateway Children's Museum in Salt Lake, so we decided to go check it out today. I have heard it is a great place for kids to explore, and we LOVED it! There were so many fun activities for the kids to do. Here are a few of their favorites:
*I blurred out the faces of people not in our group, so as to give them their privacy*
The first room had tons of holes and tubes and different contraptions to use with the various plastic balls lying around. Jackson loved putting balls in the main shoot and watching the air propel them up and around the different tubes.
Alex loved turning the wheel, which used gears to carry balls up and around this little system.
Alex also loved the agriculture section, complete with farm animals, gardening, bee-keeping, a tractor, and a market to buy and sell food.
The local news channels and hospitals were represented, with stations to practice life-flight and trauma center activities and a green screen for news reports. They even had a helicopter set up for the kids to play in!
Of course, there were TONS of educational toys set up. Alex really liked the stacking pegs.
Jack also enjoyed planting a garden, although he let others harvest the foods. ;)
Overall, it was a GREAT indoor activity for the boys. We stayed for two hours but I finally had to drag them off since we got bombarded by a few school groups that took over the place. We will definitely have to visit again!
FRIDAY
Tray 1: "From Plant to Food" Matching
I found this activity online and wanted to use it to show the boys more about where their foods come from. I would have loved to do an indoor garden with them this week (since we moved this past year and don't have our outdoor garden, anymore), but it just didn't happen.
Tray 2: Cut and Paste Page
I found the sheet of pictures on Homeschool Creations, and we use this collage page to glue them onto.
Tray 3: Beginning Sounds Stamping
This page comes from In My World, and I also added the Do-a-Dot L page from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
Tray 4: Letter Hunt Stamping
Alex also had the L leaf page from 1+1+1=1 to work on.
Tray/Activity 5: Upper and Lowercase Letter Matching
We also pulled out these cards to work on recognizing upper and lowercase letters, as well as beginning sounds. They love these puzzle cards.
Other Activities and Worksheets We Used:
And we ended the week by reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and putting our letter L on the tree.
































You guys have too much fun :)
ReplyDelete