Thursday, January 30, 2014

EWGs Skin Deep

I have a few bigger posts I'm working on right now, but my hands have been in a lot of pain this week so I'm trying not to overdo it.

While I'm working on those, however, I wanted to share a website that I have found SO helpful as I've been changing up toiletries and makeup.  It is the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) Skin Deep. They have taken tens of thousands of products such as shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, makeup, lotions, hair spray, etc... and given them a numeric hazard rating based on the ingredients used.  Here is a quick breakdown of their ratings:

0-2 = Low Hazard

3-6 = Moderate Hazard

7-10 = High Hazard

So anything under 3 is really good, meaning there is not a significant threat to your health from using the product.  As soon as I discovered this resource, I went through all the toiletries and makeup I had and decided to start using better products.  I should have made this change years ago, considering I had already experienced problems from chemicals in toiletries before.  Years ago, I started using one of those over-the-counter, prescription-strength deodorants that claimed that they closed your pores so that you wouldn't even sweat!  I used it for about a year, and then I finally had to go to the doctor because I had a cyst the size of a walnut in my armpit.  After chewing me out for waiting so long to go in, since it could have been breast cancer, I got some prescriptions to take care of the cyst and switched back to a "normal" deodorant. Inever had another problem after that.  I will be sharing some of my favorite products in future posts, but for now you can use this guide to see how your current products rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment